Accessibility at the Strand Palace Hotel
Welcome to the Strand Palace Hotel a large 785-bedroom hotel wonderfully located within central London.
We are committed to serving and anticipating the needs of our guests by offering value, comfort and high levels of service through well-trained staff. The hotel also understands that every guest has different needs and requirements, which might include need for better accessibility.
However, due to the historic nature and inherited design features of the building, we are aware that some aspects of our facilities are not as accessible as we would wish them to be. We are undertaking an ongoing review of what we have to offer and will be making changes to the layout and design wherever possible to improve the situation. Please note that Accessible rooms cannot be booked online and can only be booked by contacting our Reservations department on 020 7379 4737 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are currently able to offer the following services and facilities:
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact our Reservations team.
- We are located within the heart of London with easy access of theatreland and Covent Garden.
- There are good transport links to and from the hotel, with a bus stop just outside the hotel running services all over London. The nearest train stations are Charing Cross and Waterloo. Underground stations are Embankment, Charing Cross and Covent Garden.
- Details of access for disabled travellers at Charing Cross railway station can be found at the following link: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/CHX.html
- Details about accessible London underground lines and stations can be found at: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-access-guide1-october2006.pdf
- The nearest accessible London underground station at present is Westminster (on the District, Circle and Jubilee Line).
- Visitors and guests may prefer to use a Licensed Black Taxi. Most taxis are wheelchair accessible and most have a variety of additional features to assist passengers. More information is available at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/1136.aspx
You can contact us by telephone, email, fax or in person. Please see ‘Contact Us’ section for full details.
Car parking facilities
- There are car parking facilities, which includes disabled parking bays at the NCP Car Park in Drury lane, Parker Street, WC2B 5NT.
- Blue Badge holders can find out more about on-street spaces close to the hotel by visiting http://bluebadge.direct.gov.uk/ or http://www.westminster.gov.uk/transportandstreets/parking/disabledparking/bluebadgescheme.cfm
Entrance and Reception
- Our entrances on the Strand and from Burleigh Street have steps only. However, we do have ramped access (1:5 gradient) from our entrance in Exeter Street and a platform lift to Johnston’s Restaurant. The dimensions of the platform lift are 1050mm deep x 750mm wide and it has a maximum weight limit of 230 kg. Staff would be happy to offer assistance if required – please ring the bell at the entrance or contact reception on arrival if you need assistance.
- If you need assistance with luggage or equipment, our team of porters or concierge will be able to assist.
- There are a number of sitting areas in the lobby.
- If accessing the Reception desk is difficult, registration can be completed whilst sitting in the lobby and we have clipboards available.
- There is a portable Induction loop at Reception. Please contact Reception if this is required.
- On check-in our Reception staff will brief you on our fire evacuation policy. This is available in Braille if required.
- There is lift access to bedrooms and most of the conference area, however, some of our conference rooms (Nelson, Granville and Raleigh) can only be reached via steps. Lifts doors offer a 900mm clear opening, and lift dimensions are 1200mm deep x 1740mm wide.
Public Areas & Public toilets
- There are Self service Internet access terminals offering facilities for email, internet access that can be utilized. Please see reception for payment details and access.
- There are 3 sets of public toilets, one in the Conference area, and two off the lobby area. We have a fully accessible unisex toilet located off the lobby area by the Lounge bar, and also a set located in the conference area, which have narrow routes and doorways and may only be accessible for ambulant guests.
Restaurants & Bars
- There is a gradient of about 1:9 at the Strand Carvery entrance. The Mask Bar and The Lounge Bar are all situated off the lobby. There are no steps or gradients at the entrances to these areas.
- There is a platform lift providing access from the lobby to Johnston’s Restaurant. The dimensions of the platform lift are 1050mm deep x 750mm wide and it has a maximum weight limit of 230 kg.
- Our restaurants have a host desk on entry where staff will seat you at a table.
- Table service is offered, and our staff will take you through the menu and choices for your meal if required.
- We are able to cater for varying dietary needs. Our staff will be pleased to deal with your enquiry.
- We have nine conference rooms on the lower ground floor, which are accessed via a staircase or lifts.
- There are toilets available in the conference area, which include accessible toilets, although these currently have narrow routes and doorways and may only be accessible for ambulant guests.
- We can provide details of sign language interpreters if this service is required.
- Please notify our conference coordinator in advance if any additional services are required.
- We offer a range of double, twin or single rooms.
- We also have three bedrooms on the first floor designated for disabled guests who are able to use a bath.
- If you require any assistance during your stay please contact Reception or the Duty Manager.
- Please advise us of any special requests you may have, as we have a number of hire companies for equipment we don’t normally stock.
- Magnifying lenses are available if required.
- We have an evacuation procedure. If the fire alarm sounds continuously, someone will come to the aid of any disabled guest to assist with evacuation either to the lobby or out of the building. We have evacuation chairs to assist.
- The Hotel only accepts officially recognized Guide dog and Assistance dog. Please advise us when making your booking. The hotel does not accept pets under any circumstances.
- All of our staff have received disability awareness training.
- Security is a top priority at the Strand Palace. Guests traveling alone will feel completely comfortable and safe at the Hotel.
- All guestrooms feature a modern Key system.
- We are continually reviewing accessibility at our hotel to offer improvements and will include further information here as other adjustments are introduced.
- If you would like more information about current or planned facilities, or have any questions about access provision, please do not hesitate to contact us and we would be happy to try and answer your questions.
Learn more about additional guest services at this Charing Cross hotel.
Committed To A Comfortable And Hassle Free Experience For All Our Guests
Stay where the City meets the West End, and discover the Strand Palace Hotel. Just minutes from Charing Cross, Covent Garden, Holborn and Embankment underground stations, at the heart of London’s finest attractions and landmarks, we offer contemporary accommodation at great value.